Abergavenny Bus Station
Rare surviving purpose-built bus station of 1931
Period of construction:
1900 - 1949
Transport Trust plaque:
Swan Meadow, Monmouth Road, Abergavenny, NP7 5HH
Following the Public Health Act of 1925 and the Road Traffic Act of 1930, local authorities were required to provide accommodation for bus travellers along the lines of the provision already widely made for railway travellers.
Accordingly the 'Mayor and Burgesss' of Abergavenny acquired land close to the centre of the town for parking buses and the provision of 'a shelter and waiting rooms, ticket office, and lavatories for the convenience of passengers and the public service vehicles entering the said parking place'.
The location was leased in 1931 to the Red & White Company who became responsible for the management of the building. The rental was Â£100 a year, payable half-yearly. The building, which survives as a Tourist Office owned by the Monmouthshire County Council, consisted of a central block with stucco gable surrounded by a brick covered way. Located at the edge of the road, buses entered the large parking area on one side of the station and exited on the other.
Red & White, which was a dynamic organisation, operated bus services from Abergavenny to Hereford, Ross on Wye and the towns of Monmouthshire. It eventually became part of the British Electric Traction Co.
Booth, Gavin, British Buses in Colour, Ian Allan, ISBN-10 0711024774 (1996)
Viewable at all times.
How To Find:
By road: On A40, Monmouth Road, at the eastern end of the High Street.
Abergavenny, GBR - Weather via MSN Weather
Weather conditions and forecast for Abergavenny, GBR